Connect with us


Subway service resumes between St. George and Woodbine



Subway service resumes between St. George and Woodbine

Subway service on one stretch of the TTC’s Line 2 is up and operating however stays halted on one other, the TTC stated on Friday.

The transit company says on X, previously Twitter, that common service has resumed between St George and Woodbine stations following a police investigation.

Practically 80 shuttle buses will proceed to run alongside that stretch of Danforth Avenue to take care of crowds as service comes again on-line, in accordance with the TTC.

There isn’t any service between Kipling, Islington, Royal York, Previous Mill and Jane stations as crews work to restore communications cables badly broken by a fireplace, nonetheless. Service on that stretch is predicted to stay suspended all through the weekend and probably into Monday.

“This has been a making an attempt day for TTC Line 2 prospects and we sincerely apologize,” the company stated in an announcement.

Between 40 and 60 shuttle buses shall be working alongside Bloor Avenue instead of subway vehicles however vital delays are anticipated all through the day. Commuters can alternatively use a TTC fare to take GO’s Lakeshore West line to downtown.

Fireplace precipitated 1st downside

The primary situation to rear its head on Line 2 occurred when a fireplace broke out alongside a track-level fence at Islington Station round 3:30 p.m. Thursday, in accordance with TTC spokesperson Stuart Inexperienced, and finally unfold to adjoining subway infrastructure.

The blaze severely broken a signalling field and various cables that allow communication between trains and the management centre, Inexperienced stated. TTC crews are nonetheless working alongside police and firefighters to find out the way it began, he added.

WATCH | Fireplace closes busy stretch of Line 2: 

TTC’s Line 2 suspended between Kipling and Jane following hearth

A portion of the TTC’s Bloor-Danforth line is suspended between Kipling and Jane because of a fireplace Thursday close to Islington Station. As CBC’s Ali Chiasson reviews, the closures may final a number of days, as crews examine the reason for the hearth and work to restore service

Inexperienced was unable to say when common service would possibly resume on that size of Line 2.

“It is actually going to rely upon what we discover after we begin trying into that cable field. As I say, it was fairly closely broken by the hearth and a number of issues melted in there. We have to get in there and and take these issues aside and actually take a look at what’s broken, what wants changing,” he stated.

“We do not have a timeline on that simply but. It may very well be a number of days.”

Inexperienced stated there’s a likelihood that the size of the closure may very well be lowered to incorporate solely Kipling and Islington, however it’s not but clear if that shall be possible.

Police investigation precipitated 2nd downside

A police investigation at Sherbourne station prompted the closure between St George and Woodbine stations. Sherbourne station is now open.

Police stated they had been referred to as a couple of man assaulting a girl on the subway platform, and when officers arrived, the person tried to run and jumped on the tracks.

The person was later taken to hospital, police stated. Toronto EMS confirmed paramedics transported one individual to hospital with critical, however non-life-threatening accidents.

Police stated the person has been medically cleared and is now in police custody.

The province’s police watchdog, the Particular Investigations Unit, was concerned in that investigation as effectively however has since cleared the station, the TTC stated.

The TTC stated Line 2 is closed between St. George and Woodbine as a result of they’re the one stations the place trains can flip again to keep away from Sherbourne station.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *